Friday, September 30, 2005

The real world does use .NET IDE

It's funny how when your in school the professors often preach things, but rarely will show any tools the industry uses. One of which is the .NET IDE. Now I've always liked the .NET IDE I think the one feature they focused on intellisense the did do right. With the new features that allow you to write alot more information into the interfaces of each function it is simply a joy to use.

When in University it seems that the professors focused on tools such as JAVA without demostrating the power of any of these tools we call IDE's. In fact alot of my classmates still would you notepad or vim to do all of their coding. Not that there's anything wrong with VIM in fact I'll admit to doing work in vim for simple single file projects, but any large project becomes difficult to manage and unintuitive without the aid of an IDE doing alot of the organizational busy work.

Theoretical languages like Haskell also work for theory courses but the fact remains that such languages don't really have any tools for larger development projects, they main a toy languages designed for specific evaluation of certain mathematical concepts.

I understand there are other tools like Eclipse which from what I hear are very good in their own right. Since I have insufficient experience with them I will not talk about them here. However where I work the .NET IDE is used to compile python, and binaries for UNIX platforms proving it's flexability. The fact is the .NET IDE wasn't made for just "Microsoft" languages, and is extensible just like Eclipse. As many have mentioned all over the .NET IDE has alot going for it finally seeing how .NET IDE can be used for more than just the inital languages it was built for makes me feel like it will become a dominating force when it comes to IDE's.

No comments:

Hobbies

I need new hobbies. Two years into COVID-19 my hobby became everything COVID related everything from keeping up with the latest restriction...