Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Goodbye Acrobat

Today I finally made the full conversion from Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.5 on my work PC over to foxit reader. The reason? Well Acrobat these days has grow to be bloatware with it's multiple plugins and slow loading splash screen it's sometimes unbearably slow to use.


In comes foxit reader the less than 1 MB PDF reader. Although while using it I found some minor issues, like being unable to show PDF documents from within a browser so far I'm very satisfied with the results. Unlike Adobe Acrobat there is no attempt to install all these auxillary programs that load in the background doing various things like checking for updates. The result is a very clean program that loads as fast as notepad, and has all the features of standard Acrobat.

For users of Acrobat Pro this is no replacement since you cannot create PDF's with this program nor can you mark up existing PDF documents. However, for the millions of PDF view only users this is a definite download I'd recommend it to anyone that needs a fast lite PDF viewer.

No comments:

Hobbies

I need new hobbies. Two years into COVID-19 my hobby became everything COVID related everything from keeping up with the latest restriction...