Thursday, November 10, 2005

Why are we willing to give up more and more freedoms?

Today on the radio I had the insight of a lady that called in. She was a mother and called to complain about HMV and rap in her exact words:

Woman: The government should not allow HMV to sell rap,
rap music encourages gang violence as well as distasteful
treatment [of women]. Our kids are being manipulated and need to be protected from such materials.

Host: Wouldn't you say that you as a parent should be able to prevent your kids from falling victim to such influence.

Woman: Absolutely not, advertising is evil they brainwash my kids and unless your kids have a strong belief in god they will fall for such evil, and there will be nothing you can do.

I find it very dissapointing that this woman is calling to the government and asking that we give up one of the pillars of democracy: "Freedom of Speech". What's more I'm continuing to see how each and every day we are more and more willing to give up the few rights we still have as citizens. Personally bringing up your children should be the parents job and the parents job alone. If the government was to say it was now law that your kids must relinquish their faith and convert to scientology there would be an outrage. This is why the government doesn't take responsibility for the upbringing of our kids. Yet, this woman is not claiming responsibility for her children's and think the government should do it.

Honestly this is the epidemy of lazyness, and stupidity, your kids are your responsibility.

The second issue that she presents that concerns me is she stated that HMV should not be allowed to sell all forms of rap music. Umm.. some call that cultural racism, surely that's Illegal in Canada and expecually Toronto of all cities because of how multicultural we are. We are talking about an entire genre of music that a large number of people listen to. What's to stop me from banning dance music for "promotion of homosexual behavior?", or rock music for "encouragement of recreational drug usage".

I think my point is this, these days we have few rights as it is. Yet all around I see people saying, "gee I don't know if I can handle all this responsibility of taking care of myself and deciding how to live my life, please take these freedoms away from me."

Seriously guys grow up act like adults you really don't want to wake up one morning and realize that you've just lost the freedom to wipe your ass when you go to the toilet.

No comments:

Hobbies

I need new hobbies. Two years into COVID-19 my hobby became everything COVID related everything from keeping up with the latest restriction...